London Transport
Country Area Routes 485–489

South of the Thames

Last updated 25-03-10

Route 485 ran between Westerham (Kings Arms) and Edenbridge (Star) via Hosey Common and Crockham Hill. Buses on the 485 arriving at Westerham would usually change into a 464 to run back to Holland. A similar arrangement ran in the reverse direction.

485
485
485 FARE STAGE
The 485 hardly altered over the years, which accounts for this very old, weathered plate.
485 EDENBRIDGE

486

Route 486 ran between Joyce Green Hospital and Upper Belvedere via Dartford, Crayford and Bexleyheath.


Route 487 was a Gravesend area route, and in the ’60s ran daily between Singlewell (Hever Court Estate) and Swanscombe (Alkerden Lane) via Gypsy Corner, Gravesend and Northfleet. The route was operated by long Routemasters (RMLs) until the latter days of the vehicles with London Country.

Graham Johnson writes, “The 487 originally went from Gypsy Corner to Craylands Lane (Swanscombe) and was only extended from Singlewell to Alkerden Lane c. 1956 when the Gravesend conurbation extended.”

The number 8 on the second “E” plate looks as if it is canted slightly to the right.

487
487

488
488

Route 488 ran from Swanscombe (Eglinton Road) to Kings Farm Estate via Northfleet and Gravesend.


Route 489 is a Kent route, running from Gravesend (Clock Tower) to Ash (The White Swan) via Springhead Road, Southfleet, Westwood, Longfield and Hartley. The route still exists in much the same form, operated by Red Route Buses, although it ran as London Country route 490A for a few years in the mid-’70s. As a London Transport route, it was operated from Northfleet [NF] Garage, originally by AEC Q and 10T10 class single-deckers, then converted to RFs in 1953. The route featured RFs for the 16 October 2005 Gravesend running day.

489 FARE STAGE

489A
489A FARE STAGE

Route 489A ran from Gravesend (Clock Tower) to Meopham (Hook Green) via Springhead Road, Southfleet, Westwood, Longfield, Longfield Hill and Meopham School. The route ran parallel to the 489 from Gravesend to Longfield. It was withdrawn in 1971. The route was withdrawn in the early 1970s.

These are quite rare plates as there would not have been many stops with “E” plates, mainly only in Gravesend town centre, and even fewer with FARE STAGE.

← →
Click on any of the tiles below to go to images of the “E” plates and the route descriptions for that number series.
Clicking on any stop flag will return to the home page.
Stops
“E” Plates
Stops
Stop Flags
Maps
Maps

Stamps

Advanced Search
Advanced Search
Sources
Sources
Bibliography
Bibliography
Links
Links