London Transport
Central Area Routes 90–95

Last updated 23-08-10.

90
90 MON.-SAT. AFTER 1900 HOURS
This plate is extremely rare as it came from a single stop at Twickenham Station where the evening terminus was different from the daytime through service. It is also very unusual to have actual times specified on an “E” plate.
90 RICHMOND SEE BELOW
This plate would have come from a bus stop where there was only a service at certain times to Richmond, probably with a message too complex to incude fully. Like most destinated “E” plates it is extremely rare, but the addition of SEE BELOW makes this one even more notable.
1939 route 90 timetable
A double-sided bus stop timetable panel dated 22nd Nov 1939, which makes this an early wartime example. It lists the times for services To KEW GARDENS, with the reverse direction on the opposite side.
1940 route 90/A/B tickets
Nine different geographical punch tickets from routes 90/A/B, all with the earlier style large value overprint. They were issued in the late 1940s.
Tickets courtesy jrs232.
1972 route 90 timetable
A timetable leaflet for the OPO conversion of route 90 starting 5 February 1972, when the service was changed from to one-person-operated SMS buses. This fold-out leaflet has brief details of the changes and a fare table on the front. Inside are bus stop timetables for the service, and on the back are diagrams showing how to use split entrance buses. Its print code is 172/1228s/36,500.

Route 90 ran daily between Kew Gardens Station and Staines (Bridge Street) via Richmond, Twickenham, Hanworth, Sunbury and Ashford Common. In 1958 the Sunday service was withdrawn and replaced by new route 90C, but reintroduced again in 1968. In 1970 the Sunday service was withdrawn between Richmond and Kew Gardens. In 1972 it was converted to one-man-operation and withdrawn between Richmond and Kew Gardens on Saturdays except during shopping hours. In 1973 it was withdrawn completely between Richmond and Kew Gardens, and also withdrawn between Twickenham Station and Richmond on Saturdays except during shopping hours. In 1975 it was extended on Mondays to Saturdays from Staines to Egham Station to replace the withdrawn section of route 117, and cut back to Staines again in 1976. In 1978 it was standardised to run between Staines and Richmond at all times. The route was withdrawn in 1982 and partly replaced by route 290. Today’s route 90 runs between Feltham and Northolt over what was previously much of route 90B.


Route 90B ran daily between Kew Gardens Station and Yeading Lane (Kingshill Avenue) via Richmond, Twickenham, Hanworth, Feltham, Hatton, Harlington Corner and Hayes. In 1958 it was extended from from Kingshill Avenue to Yeading (White Hart). In 1962 it was extended during Monday to Friday peak hours from Yeading to South Harrow Station. In 1968 the Sunday service was withdrawn and replaced by new route 90A. The Sunday service was reintroduced in 1969, but only between Richmond and Yeading. In 1970 it was withdrawn between Yeading and South Harrow. In 1989 the 90B ws renumbered to plain 90, as the earlier route 90 had been withdrawn by then.

1969 route 90 timetable
A timetable panel from July 1969, showing the fairly freqeunt service offered on the route.
1973 route 90 timetable
This timetable leaflet was issued for NEW ‘PAY AS YOU ENTER’ BUSES … STARTING JANUARY 6 1973.
90B
90B
90B SAT MORNING & RUSH HOURS
It is uncommon for the & symbol to be on its own line, as this took up space that could have otherwise been used for a larger route number.
90B SPECIAL JOURNEYS ONLY

90C SUNDAY

Route 90C started operating on 26 November 1958 as a replacement for routes 71 and 90, which were withdrawn on Sundays. It ran between Hammersmith (Brook Green) and Staines (Bridge Street) via Hammersmith Broadway, Chiswick Bridge, Richmond, Twickenham, Hanworth, Sunbury, Ashford Common and Kingston Road. The one and only modification to the route occurred in November 1967 when it was withdrawn in Hammersmith between the Met. Station and Brook Green, and daily service was added from Hammersmith to Richmond (Bus Station)—again replacing route 71. The 90C was withdrawn in September 1968, replaced by new route 290 on Monday to Saturday, and the 90 which was reintroduced on Sunday. It was always operated by RT-type buses from Twickenham [AB] Garage.


Route 91 ran daily between Cranford (Queens Head) and Hammersmith via Hounslow West, Lampton, Osterley, Gunnersbury, Chiswick and Turnham Green. It was extended on Mondays to Saturdays to Wandsworth Bridge via North End Road and Fulham Broadway. In 1952 it was extended on Mondays to Saturdays from Cranford to London Airport via Harlington Corner. The Sunday service was similarly extended in 1958, although the Sunday service was cut back to Hounslow West later that year, and withdrawn completely a month later. The Saturday service was withdrawn between Hounslow West and London Airport in 1961, and the Monday to Friday service finally cut back in 1968. In 1976 it was extended from Wandsworth Bridge to Wandsworth Garage. The route was withdrawn in 1991, being replaced by new routes H91 and 391. The 91 saw RT and RTL operation as well as the prototype Routemaster, RM1. It later saw SMS and DMS buses. Garages included Riverside [R], Stamford Brook [V] and Wandsworth [WD].

DMS 1511
Unfortunately, this is a rather poor grabbed shot of DMS 1511 in the Great West Road at Osterley on route 91 in June 1976. However, the B(C)C(C)E6 stop shows an interesting assortment of “E” plates. It’s difficult to read, but I think they say:
91 WEEKDAY FARESTAGE Alder Valley Service B
116 MON.-FRI. RUSH HOURS FARE STAGE704 SEVENOAKS TONBRIDGE TUNBERIDGE WELLS705 VICTORIA WESTERHAM SEVENOAKS
Note that for the route 91 plate FARESTAGE is one word with no black background—I cannot recall any other plate like this!
Photo courtesy Paul Davis
91 timetable notice
A special bus stop timetable display for route 91 to Turnham Green from the southbound stop in Jersey Road at Great West Road for journeys starting there, dated 14 August, 1963. This bus stop would have likely had a SEE BELOW or SPECIAL JOURNEYS ONLY “E” plate.
1973 timetable leflet for routes 91 & 116
Booklets like this were distributed for many routes in the early ’70s in order to familiarise passsengers with the new pay-as-you-enter omo buses then being introduced.
91 WEEKDAY
91 MON.-SAT.

92

Route 92 ran daily between Southall Garage and Wembley (Empire Pool) via Greenford, Sudbury Hill and Sudbury. In 1958 the Sunday service was rerouted to North Wembley (Preston Hotel) and renumbered 92B. In 1969 the 92 was reintroduced on Sundays and the 92B was withdrawn. In 1971 part of the service was diverted during peak hours to Wembley (Trading Estate). In 1974 a Sunday service was introduced to Wembley Market although this was withdrawn in 1976. In 1979 it was extended from Southall to Ealing Hospital. In 1982 the service was rerouted to Wembley (Trading Estate) at all times on Mondays to Saturday except evenings. In 1987 it was extended on Mondays to Saturdays from Wembley to Neasden (Tesco). In 1993 it was also extended to Neasden on Sundays, and further extended on Mondays to Saturdays from Neasden to St. Raphael’s Estate. The Sunday service was extended to St. Raphael’s Estate in 1998.

1972 route 92 timetable
A timetable panel effective 24.4.72 for route 92.

Route 92B was introduced in 1958 and ran on Sundays between Southall Garage and North Wembley (Preston Hotel) via Greenford, Sudbury Hill, Sudbury and Wembley, and replaced the Sunday service on route 92. The route was withdrawn in 1969 when the 92 was reintroduced on Sundays.

92B SUNDAY

93
93 SUNDAY
The “E” plate is from the summer (generally May to October) Sundays extension to Dorking.
93 NORTH CHEAM
93 SPECIAL JOURNEYS ONLY
I believe this “E” plate would have come from a stop on the garage journeys between North Cheam and Sutton Garage.
93 timetable notice
A special bus stop timetable display for route 93 to Turnham Green from the southbound stop in Jersey Road at Great West Road for journeys starting there, dated 34 August, 1963. This stop would have likely had a SEE BELOW plate.
DMS 2397
Taken on the 23rd of September, 1984, is DMS 2397 at Putney Bridge Station. It will run the full length of the route back to Priory Road and then continue, in service, back to the garage. DMS 2397 operated at Sutton [CN] from November ’82 to January ’92, when it became a training bus. It was later re-classified DMT 2397.
Photo courtesy the DMS Bus Page

Route 93 ran between Putney Bridge Station and Epsom Station via Putney High Street, Putney Heath, Wimbledon Common, Wimbledon, South Wimbledon Station, Morden Station, Stonecot Hill, North Cheam and Ewell, with part of the service tuning at North Cheam (Priory Road). The route was extended on summer Sundays to Dorking via Leatherhead, Mickleham and Boxhill. From October 1955 until February 1956 an express service was offered between Morden and Epsom Stations during Monday to Friday peak hours. The Dorking journeys ran for the last time on Sunday 9 October, 1960. In 1970 the route was withdrawn between North Cheam and Epsom, with this section being replaced by new route 293. In 1989 garage journeys were revised to run in service to Sutton Garage (over route 213) via Cheam Village and Sutton.

Click here to read Peter L’s personal recollection of the 93, hosted by the Epsom and Ewell History Explorer.


Route 94 ran between Crystal Palace and Southborough via Sydenham, Forest Hill, Brockley Rise, Lewisham, Lee Green, Grove Park, Bromley and Bromley Common. In 1952 it was withdrawn between Lewisham and Crystal Palace as part of tram replacements and replaced over this section by route 186. Some journeys continued on to Brockley Rise on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. In 1954 it was extended daily from Southborough to Petts Wood Station, covering previously unserved roads. In 1956 it was withdrawn on Sundays between Lewisham and Brockley Rise. In 1964 it was extended on Mondays to Saturdays from Petts Wood to Orpington (St. Andrew’s Drive), with some peak hour journeys continuing on to Sidcup Station via Foots Cray. The Sidcup journeys were withdrawn in 1978, and the whole route was withdrawn in 1982, replaced by new routes 208 and 261.

An official (but unfortunately somewhat faded) coloured photo of the prototype Silver Jubilee RM442 [WLT 442], which never formed part of the final fleet. Interestingly, the bus is blinded for route 94 to Petts Wood Station, which never had silver Routemasters running on it.
London Transport photo
94
94
94 MON-SAT
94 SPECIAL JOURNEYS PETTS WOOD
◀ For some reason, the 94 appears to be a very difficult route number to find on “E” plates. This one is likely to have come from the section of route between Petts Wood and Orpington over where there would have been very few plates.

95
This “E” plate would have come from the Aldgate Section of route. The route numbers appear to be stickers affixed onto a painted piece of aluminium.
95 MON.-SAT
95 MON-SAT
95 SUNDAY
The unevenness of the characters on this “E” plate suggests that it may have been hand-lettered.
95 SUNDAY FARE STAGE
This is a rather nice “E” plate as it is entirely in red, including the FARE STAGE lettering.
1971 timetable leaflet for routes 95 & 181
A slightly different style of leaflet used to introduce “new type buses … starting January 2 [1971]”. As far as I can tell route 181 was only included in the conversion because both services operated from Streatham Garage.

Route 95 was introduced in January 1951 as a tram replacement route and ran daily between Tooting Broadway (Coverton Road) and Cannon Street Station via Amen Corner, Southcroft Road, Streatham, Brixton, Kennington, Elephant & Castle, Borough and Southwark Bridge. During November 1958, the Sunday service was withdrawn, with RTWs replaced with Routemasters in 1966. In January 1971 it was converted to one-man operation—one of the first routes to use the new DMS double-deckers—and the Sunday service was reintroduced replacing route 95A between Streatham Garage and Elephant & Castle, running on to Aldgate during market hours via Cannon Street, Queen Victoria Street and Bank. In 1973 the Sunday service was rerouted between Borough and Aldgate via London bridge instead of Southwark Bridge. The Sunday service was extended from Streatham to Tooting Broadway in 1979, replacing route 181A. In September 1982 it was withdrawn on Saturdays between Elephant and Cannon Street, and withdrawn on Sundays between Elephant and Aldgate. The Cannon Street terminus changed to Mansion House Station and the Tooting terminus became St. George’s Hospital at the same time. In 1983 it was withdrawn between Tooting Broadway and St. George's Hospital. Sunday service was fully withdrawn on 1 February 1991. In 1995 the route was reduced to Monday to Friday peak hours only, running between Brixton Garage and Mansion House Station. Today’s 95 runs between Southall and Shepherd's Bush.


Route 95A was introduced in 1958, running on Sundays only between Tooting Broadway and Aldgate via Mitcham Road, Southcroft Road, Streatham, Brixton, Kennington, Elephant & Castle, Borough, London Bridge and Fenchurch Street, extended during market hours to Blackwall Tunnel via Commercial Road, Stepney East and Limehouse. In 1967 it was withdrawn between Aldgate and Blackwall Tunnel, and only ran on beyond London Bridge to Aldgate during the mornings. In 1971 the 95A was withdrawn and replaced by routes 95 and 181A.

This plate would have probably come from London Bridge bus station or possibly Aldgate, but I cannot be sure. In any event, it is exceedingly rare.

95A SUNDAY TOOTING
Previous page Next page
Click on any of the tiles below to go to images of the “E” plates and the route descriptions for that number series.
Clicking on any stop flag will return to the home page.
Stops
“E” Plates
Stops
Stop Flags
Maps
Maps

Stamps

Advanced Search
Advanced Search
Sources
Sources
Bibliography
Bibliography
Links
Links